Calling all 6th graders!!!
YMCA Camps Marston and Raintree Ranch are nestled in the mountains of historic Julian, boasting beautiful mountain trails, scenic vistas, our own lake and a forest of towering pines and majestic oaks. The themes of Interrelationships, Cycles, Adaptations, and Energy will be covered in the outdoor education curriculum. Traditional camp adventures are built into some of the classes to provide experiences which may include archery, hiking, a climbing wall, games and crafts. Caring, Honesty, Respect, and Responsibility for each other and for the Earth are instilled throughout the program.
This is a great rite of passage experience for all 6th grade students and the memories will last a lifetime. Students gain outdoor education skills and independence. The fee includes lodging, meals and all of the activities. Parents can download the Parent Guide for additional information including necessary forms, packing lists, and directions.
- Earth and Water– Students experience watersheds, the water cycle, geology and resources through hands on walk through the mountains.
- Animals and Habitats– Diversity, survival needs, populations, and competition are discovered as students hike to different natural communities. Students will also look at animal adaptations through a hands-on pond study and a visit to the Raintree barn.
- Tree Tromp– An activity-filled hike allows students to discover the interrelationships and energy flows of the forest community including a look at decomposition through a visit to the composting area.
- Outdoor Living Skills– A variety of outdoor survival techniques which may include fire-building, cooking, and making a shelter and orienteering.
- Team building– A series of exciting mental and physical challenges designed to build self-esteem, group cooperation, communication, and trust.
- Challenges– Students will be challenged through three different activities (weather permitting):
- Climbing Tower– Students will be able to try climbing our 40 ft tower using our safe belay system.
- Archery– Students learn how to safely use a bow and arrow and will get to shoot at the targets.
Fee: $239 per student includes lodging, all meals and activities. Extended Units may be used and allocated over several months for payment.
RSVP no later than: April 12, 2019